Photography by Jan Baldwin
- 75g/1⁄3 a cup of soft butter, plus extra for greasing and serving
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed up
- 200g/1 cup of soft brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda/baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt 170g/11⁄2 cups of flour (spelt or whatever)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas 4. Grease a 30 x 23-cm/12 x 1-inch bread tin.
- Pour the mashed bananas into a big mixing bowl. Mix in the butter, sugar, egg and vanilla extract. Add the bicar- bonate/ baking soda and salt and mix in the flour last. Pour into the prepared tin. Bake for 1 hour, remove and cool, then serve in slices with a little butter.